3.09.2009

Mexican Chicken Soup

I have had this recipe for years now, and I can't remember where I got it originally. I kept thinking it was a Pampered Chef recipe, but I don't think it is. At any rate, I have made a few changes to it along the way, so I'm just going to give it to you without the original source. It's something different to have for dinner when you're tired of all your regular recipes!

Mexican Chicken Soup

2 c. cooked, cubed chicken
3-14.5 oz. cans of chicken broth
2 cloves of garlic, pressed or diced
16 oz. salsa
1/2 c. rice
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. salt
1-15 oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 c. frozen corn
1-4 oz. can diced green chiles

Let me first say that sometimes I don't precook my chicken. Sometimes I cut up the boneless skinless chicken breast into bite-sized pieces and cook them in the bottom of my soup pot in a little cooking oil. Once the chicken is cooked, I put it in a bowl and set it aside until the recipe calls for it to be added.

Combine chicken broth and garlic in a large soup pot and bring to a boil.

Add salsa, rice, oregano and salt. Cover. Reduce heat to low and cookfor 15 min., stirring occasionally.

Add cooked chicken, black beans, corn and chiles. Continue cooking for 5 min. or until heated through.

Serve in soup bowls with tortilla chips on the side. Top each with a dollop of plain sour cream, or Cilantro-Lime Sour Cream. See recipe below.

Cilantro-Lime Sour Cream

Combine and serve with Mexican Chicken Soup.

1/2 c. sour cream
3 T. chopped fresh cilantro (or more to taste)
1 T. lime juice
I hope you enjoy this great Tex-Mex soup! Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: