1.26.2010

Mae Dawson's Hoosier Sugar Cream Pie

My friend, Olivia, asked me in an email yesterday what food Indianapolis is famous for. Every year when her family gets together to watch the Super Bowl, they make foods that are famous from each of the cities the teams are from. The first thing that came to my mind is Sugar Cream Pie. I had never heard of this type of cream pie until I lived here in Indiana.

A few years ago, I came across this recipe for Mae Dawson's Hoosier Sugar Cream Pie on Paula Deen's show, Paula's Home Cooking, on the Food Network. I was looking to find a good sugar cream pie recipe, and this is the best one I've tried so far. It has made it to my "keepers" recipe file. The only thing that I would mention about the recipe is that I had to bake it longer than directed. You may also want to cover the crust with foil for the entire baking time so that it doesn't get overdone. Other than that, it's a great easy recipe--especially when you use a frozen pie crust!

I also mentioned to her that beef tenderloins and baked corn casserole were Hoosier traditions. All you native Hoosiers out there, what foods do you think are traditional Indiana fare? Let me a comment to tell me what food you think Indiana is famous for. Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Kirstin said...

Over the past 3 years the Indiana Foodways Alliance has done a wonderful job investigating and celebrating Indiana foods. They were the ones that pushed for Sugar Cream Pie to become the state pie. Their website, www.indianafoodways.com has some great information on Indiana's foods. We can't thank them enough for what they have done for our small community in designating us as the Sugar Cream Pie Capital. We hope that other Indiana communities will continue to benefit from this great organization and the world will get to delight in our food heritage. --Kirstin Oswalt, Randolph County CVB Executive Director