2.08.2010

Peach Cobbler

Have you ever seen the Peach Cobbler recipe where you start with a melted stick of butter in your baking dish? I got a recipe like it years ago just after Jim and I were married. I hadn't made it in a long time, and then I saw it again on a blog that I used to follow. I made a few changes to it, and here's my version of it.
Peach Cobbler

1/2 c. butter
1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/4 c. milk
1-29 oz. can sliced peaches

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cut the stick of butter into about eight 1 T. pieces and place them in a 9x13 baking dish. Put the baking dish in the oven while it's preheating to melt the butter. Watch it closely so that butter doesn't start to brown.

Strain the peaches and reserve the juice in a glass measuring cup. (I used sliced peaches with no sugar added in pear juice. You may use whatever variety you wish.) Add water to the juice, if needed, to have 1 c. of liquid.

Using a wire whisk, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, reserved juice and milk in a large bowl. Pour the batter mixture into the baking dish over the melted butter. The butter and batter will swirl together on their own somewhat. Do not mix them.

Lay the peach slices evenly in the dish. I like to place each one so that the whole dish is covered evenly with a layer of peaches. I may try using more peaches next time so that there's more fruit in the finished product.

Bake the mixture for about 40 minutes, until the top is light brown and the juices are bubbling around the edges. Enjoy!
I made this for a stamping workshop earlier this week and got many compliments. Give it a try the next time you need a quick and easy dessert! Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: