1.12.2009

A Great Icing Recipe

Two years ago while we were visiting family in PA, I got a great icing recipe from Jim's aunt, Janet. Have you ever had whipped icing on a supermarket cake instead of the buttercream? Well this is the closest recipe I've found to what that is like. I made some last week and used it both to ice some cake and also on some sugar cookies. I haven't ever tried to color it though. I'm not sure it would work very well.

Whipped Icing

1 c. butter
1 c. shortening
2 c. granulated sugar
1-12 oz. can evaporated milk
2 tsp. vanilla

Cream butter, shortening and sugar VERY well. This will take quite some time if you're using a hand mixer and not quite as long with a good stand mixer. I use my wire whisk attachment on my stand mixer when I make this recipe. It takes a long time to whip it to the point it needs to be. The sugar will just about dissolve in the butter and shortening so that it's not grainy anymore. Gradually add the evaporated milk and vanilla and mix until creamy with a smooth texture. Enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: