1.16.2009

Spicy Chicken Sandwiches with Cilantro-Lime Mayo

If you've been reading my posts thinking, "Geesh, she tried new recipes a lot!" No, I don't. Well, I guess I do, but not usually day after day like this. I go in spurts. It's usually this time of year where I get stir crazy and tired of everything. So it's in my cooking that I try some new things. Strong, bold flavors can do wondrous things for your spirits on a cold, gray winter day. I try to go for that instead of sitting and eating fattening comfort food all winter. It's too hard to burn those pounds off in the spring! The cilantro in this recipe is a perfect example of a bold flavor.

If you read my post a couple days ago about the pork chops, I tried my thoughts on baking instead of frying. I made these
Spicy Chicken Sandwiches with Cilantro-Lime Mayo for dinner, but instead of frying them, I baked them. Guess what? They were great! (Even if I do say so myself!) I was afraid they'd be really hot after being soaked in a marinade with hot sauce, but they weren't hot at all. They had a great flavor.


You know I never follow the recipe exactly, so here are my substitutions: I didn't have baked tortilla chips, so I used crushed Ritz crackers. Also, I never have fresh lemon or lime juice. I always use bottled. Once again, I didn't use egg substitute, but just eggs instead. Jim and I aren't big fans of raw onions on sandwiches, so I skipped the red onion. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: