2.06.2009

Easy Pleasing Meatloaf

Yesterday I mentioned that I have a recipe box full of my "staples", recipes I make over and over again, because they're the best I've found for that particular dish. Here's a recipe I use to make meatloaf. I used to use a different one from the Better Homes & Gardens big binder cookbook, but after I tried this one, I never made the old one again.


This recipe for Easy Pleasing Meatloaf only has five simple ingredients. You can't beat that for simplicity, and it's pretty cheap too! Let me tell you how I tweak the recipe. When we got our first microwave when I was a kid, my mom tried a recipe for meatloaf where you cooked it in the microwave. This is how my mom has made meatloaf ever since.

Once you have the meatloaf mixture all ready, instead of putting it in a loaf pan to bake in the oven, you form the meatloaf mixture into a big donut in a microwave-safe baking dish. I use a Pyrex pie plate. Depending on the power of your microwave, you'll have to adjust your cook times. I cover the meatloaf with waxed paper and cook it on full power for 5-6 minutes. Then I put another Pyrex pie plate on top of the meatloaf and flip the whole thing over. I drizzle barbecue sauce or ketchup over the top (which was the bottom in the first cooking cycle), replace the waxed paper and cook for another 5-6 minutes on full power.

I didn't used to flip it half way through like this, but Mom showed me this trick when she was staying with us after I had one of the boys. So now I've done this ever since too. It keeps the top side from getting over-cooked and dry.

One more thing on this recipe. It calls for 2 lbs. of ground beef. The whole recipe is too much for our little family of four right now, so when I make this, I put half in a zipper freezer bag and put it in the freezer till the next time I want to make meatloaf. Then I just pull it out of the freezer, thaw it, and cook it in the microwave. It's great for an evening when you need a quick meal. I hope you'll try this one, because it's super easy! Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: