2.10.2009

Mexican Chicken Casserole

I was in a mood for Tex Mex food, so I tried this easy Mexican Chicken Casserole from Kraft Foods. If you've never been to their website, you should try it. You can sign up for a free magazine they publish about four times each year with lots of easy and quick recipes in it. You can also sign up for emails with recipe and meal ideas in them.


As usual, I made a few adjustments to the recipe.

  1. We're not fond of green bell peppers. Although they're more expensive, we prefer yellow, orange, or red bell peppers. They have a milder flavor. So I used an orange bell pepper instead of a green one.

  2. I rarely use name brand products, so any time you see the name brand of an item used, I probably didn't use it. In fact, I used some homemade salsa that I canned a few summers ago.

  3. I used regular cream cheese too, because that's what I already had open in my fridge.

  4. Who has good fresh tomatoes this time of year? I used a can of petite diced tomatoes instead.

  5. Finally, I didn't use whole wheat tortillas, and I used more of them. I used three in each layer, and I cut two of the three in each layer in half. I arranged them in the square baking dish by putting the four flat cut sides against the four sides of the pan with the one whole one on top in the middle.
I guess I didn't follow the recipe very much at all, did I? I wasn't sure if we would like it or not, but we did! It was very good, and it hit the spot for my Tex Mex craving! We added some fat free sour cream on the side too. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: