2.03.2009

Whiskey Marinated Tenderloins and Hominy Spoonbread

There was an article in the December Cooking Light magazine with rustic Wild West recipes. "A hearty menu by a roaring fire is a welcome offering for a snowy Wyoming Christmas" was the sub-title to the article. I decided to try two of the recipes, Whiskey Marinated Tenderloins and Hominy Spoonbread.

The Hominy Spoonbread was a real disappointment. I thought it would have a much different texture than it did. It had a texture much like a soft scrambled egg. None of us liked it. I usually have something good to say about most everything I try to make, but I don't for this. I would much prefer my recipe for good old corn casserole with Jiffy corn muffin mix in it.

I really enjoyed the Whiskey Marinated Tenderloins. I did use some tenderloin steaks I had in the freezer, although they weren't cut exactly like the recipe calls for. No, I don't have whiskey on hand at my house, but I had Jim stop at the liquor store next to our dentist's office when he was there last week to pick up a mini bottle of it. That's all I needed for the marinade. Jim stood outside in freezing temperatures to grill the steaks on our propane grill on the back patio. I thought they were really good with a terrific flavor. Our boys both wolfed them down too, and getting them to eat red meat is like pulling teeth! Jim was the only one who didn't like them, but he's really picky about his steak. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: